5 Moving Tips That Will Make Your Move Easier
This article gives you some useful moving tips on how to deal with your move without going mad in the process.
- Packing - First of all, you have to pack your stuff. But before that you should look at everything thing you have in your house and ask yourself: do I really need it? When was the last time I actually used it? If it’s been more than a month it is probably time to say goodbye to it. Carry out a garage sale or simply give the unnecessary things to someone who needs them.
- Start collecting boxes in advance - Plenty of boxes may be found at stores, at your place of work, or simply by asking around. Begin packing with non-essentials, things you don’t need every day. Don’t forget to label every box — what is inside, what is fragile and should be handled with care. Use clothes, pillows and similar things to keep breakables from damage.
- Draw up a plan - Be sure to draw up a plan or take some notes on what you are going to do prior to moving. Plan your last trip for groceries to be two weeks before moving, so that you don’t have to empty your fridge in a hurry. If you have some things that you want to get rid of but which are too valuable to be given away or sold at a garage sale, start selling them via eBay, Etsy or Craigslist at least a couple of months prior to moving. About two weeks before moving you should change your address for utilities, credit cards, Amazon, etc. In other words, plan ahead so that there is nothing to surprise you.
- Logistics - It isn’t enough to just pack things. You should do it in a way that allows you to easily find what you need afterwards. In addition to simply labeling your boxes, try color-coding them. For example: everything belonging to the bathroom has blue labels on it. If you have any containers (baskets, suitcases, laundry bins, etc.), use them before you go out looking for boxes. Use vacuum sealing to minimize the space taken by clothes. All in all, you should do everything to make sure your things take as little space as possible.
- Preparing the new place - Try to visit your new place a couple of days before you are going to move in to pre-clean the bathroom and kitchen. It is also a good idea to stock them up with all the essentials: clean towels, shower curtains, toilet paper, and some basic food. After a long day of moving you will be dying for a hot shower, so it is better to be prepared.
Using moving companies like Amazing Moves can be of great help. We can save you a lot of trouble, because we take it upon ourselves to organize everything, which may be very difficult to do on your own. But even if you move to another house within the same city, give us a shot – professional movers like us are much better at dealing with breakables than your friends. Moving to a new place really can be a refreshing, energizing experience… if you approach it correctly. Think over and organize the whole thing carefully and it won’t be long till your housewarming party!