Everything You Need To Know About Moving Boxes: Pick and Pack The Right Way
Moving is a hassle. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. There are ways you can make the experience a little easier on yourself and the movers, if you choose to hire some. One of the most fundamental elements of an easy move is the moving boxes you use for your various belongings. Contrary to popular belief, there is a method to the madness of packing and we’re here to share the secrets of the trade with you.
Do You Really Need Moving Boxes?
If you’re in a stage of life where you’re moving pretty frequently or you’re one of those rare organized types whose storage closet isn’t a total disaster, you may think you don’t need any moving boxes because you have plenty of suitcases, bins, or crates. While there is most certainly a place for suitcases and bins in a move, chances are, you’ll need a couple moving boxes, as well.
Moving In Your Suitcases and Bins
Like we mentioned, your suitcases and bins have a place in a move. While these aren’t technically moving boxes, they are space that shouldn’t be wasted. You want to ensure you’re making strategic decisions about what you pack in those items so you don’t ruin anything you’ll want to use later.
Suitcases or bins that have wheels are perfect for more dense items, such as books, because you won’t have to lift the entire item once it’s loaded. For things like duffle bags or storage bins that don’t have wheels, pack your large, light items, such as blankets, linens, and towels.
More Than Just Small, Medium, and Large
Often, when we’re talking to people about what kind of moving boxes they might need, we hear an estimate of the number of small, medium, and large boxes they think they will use. Inevitably, we see them again because they end up with too much of one size and not enough of another. Categorizing your belongings into ways you may pack them is the first step in successfully determining the quantity and type of moving boxes you’ll need. Here’s a few general rules and recommendations to keep in mind when packing in each size of moving box.
Small Moving Boxes
- Perfect for flatware, tools, and knick-knacks
- Keep all your electronic wires bundled and organized in a small box
- The heavier the item, the smaller the box
Medium Moving Boxes
- Ideal for heavy items that are also large, like dishes
- Only pack heavy items to halfway, then fill with lighter items to the top
Large Moving Boxes
- Perfect for large, light items, like blankets
- Oddly shaped items can be packed around in large boxes to maximize space
- Items that come in parts or are collapsible fit well in large boxes
If you’ve spent any time researching moving boxes, you know that moving boxes come in all shapes and sizes. There are a number of different specialty boxes that you may consider for a move, depending on your needs.
How To Decide On Specialty Moving Boxes
Once you’ve separated your belongings - whether physically or on a list - you will likely find yourself with a handful of belongings that don’t clearly fall into a small, medium, or large category. At this point, you’ll want to consider specialty moving boxes to keep the moving experience seamless. With all of our experience in moving, we see that these specialty needs can often be grouped together.
- Clothes - Wardrobe boxes are great for those who have a lot of hanging clothes that you don’t want wrinkled from being packed into suitcases or boxes.
- Fragile Items - Corrugated boxes are designed for items that can be easily broken. You’ll want to be sure to wrap these items in towels, clothing, or packing paper for extra security.
- Pictures, Posters, and Artwork - Picture boxes and poster tubes are ideal for those with a lot of photos, photo albums, or artwork that needs to stay protected during the gruff experience of a move.
- Electronics - Ideally, you’ll save your electronics boxes when you make those purchases, but that’s not always the case. Specialty boxes designed for electronics can keep your high-dollar items protected.
If you find yourself with belongs that don’t fall into any of the categories above, you may want to enlist the help of professional movers.
Finding Moving Boxes In Denver
There’s a number of places to find moving boxes in the Denver area, but the professionals at Amazing Moves are happy to help you streamline the process. Whether you’re not sure how many moving boxes you may need or you want to clean your hands of the moving process entirely, our moving experts are the ones to call.
Contact Amazing Moves and we’ll help you estimate the number of moving boxes you may need for an easy and amazing move.