5 Moving Myths Debunked by Residential Movers in Denver
For far too long, the moving industry has been plagued by many misconceptions and myths. And our residential movers in Denver have heard them all, from common myths and far-reaching claims. Today we will set the record straight about these long-held beliefs about moving.
We've rounded up the top 5 misconceptions we've heard over the years about movers and the moving process. With our expert insights, you'll have a clearer idea of which assumptions are true.
Breaking Down Common Myths About Residential Movers in Denver
1. It's Cheaper to Move Yourself
This statement can be true for certain types of moves. For instance, if you're moving from a single bedroom apartment to another single a few blocks away, a DIY move will most likely be cheaper. However, the same cannot be said for more complex and labor-intensive moves.
This is because your moving expenses will add up quicker than you expect. When you take the DIY approach, you'll need to account for many different costs, such as:
- The rental truck and gas expenses
- The rental costs for any moving dollies
- The packing materials/moving supplies (e.g., boxes, tape, moving pads/blankets, etc.)
You may also need to factor in the time you take off work if you can't use PTO. And if you enlist the help of friends or family on moving day, then you'll likely buy lunch for them.
When you add it all up, moving on your own may be as expensive as hiring professional movers.
2. Any Box Will Work for Packing
Unfortunately, this is rarely ever the case. You need sturdy boxes for moving that can withstand the rigors of the moving process.
If you use any old box, you risk damaging your prized possessions. The last thing you want is for your boxes to get crushed during transit or break open while being carried.
It's best to use brand-new moving boxes and packing supplies for your move.
That said, you don't need to use moving boxes for everything in your home. Suitcases, bins, and other crates can be great stand-ins for boxes. You may also use duffle bags for lighter-weight items.
3. Fridays Are the Best Days to Move
Across the real estate and moving industry, you'll generally hear this recommendation (Moving.Tips). When you move on Friday, you don't have to take time off work and you have the entire weekend to get settled in your new home.
However, moving on a Friday or over the weekend comes with many downsides. Just to name a few:
- Moving companies tend to be busier on the weekends, so it may be more difficult to schedule a Friday move.
- Movers generally charge more during busier times, so a Friday move will be more expensive.
- Traffic can be hectic during the Friday rush hour and over the weekends (especially in Denver).
For those reasons and many others, it's generally best to move during a weekday instead. Yes, moving on a Wednesday may be inconvenient for your schedule. However, a weekday moving day offers many advantages, such as:
- Lower moving rates
- Greater choice of movers
- More privacy
- Easier and quicker to load/unload your items
- And less traffic
4. Movers Always Have Hidden Charges
Many homeowners avoid hiring movers because they don't want to find an extra charge or two on their final invoice (HGTV). However, this ultimately boils down to your choice of a moving company.
When you vet your options and hire reputable and experienced movers, they'll disclose all fees far in advance. They'll include all fees in your moving estimate and be transparent about their pricing. This will allow you to find an affordable price point that works best for your budget.
Be sure to ask your moving company rep about surprise fees and charges when acquiring your estimate. And before you sign any agreement, make sure it's clear which costs you'll be responsible for.
5. Every Moving Company Is the Same
A quick Google search will show that there are hundreds of residential movers in Denver, CO. So, you might feel inclined to just hire the first one you come across. After all, each company is the same, right?
Unfortunately, that's not true. Moving companies might provide similar moving services, but each company differs in a wide variety of ways:
- Customer Service - Larger chains tend to focus solely on their bottom lines. As such, they do not always prioritize the customer experience.
- Pricing - Some movers may provide you with a higher moving quote than others.
- Additional services - If you want a full-service moving experience, then look for movers that offer packing services and storage solutions.
- Distance - Not every moving company can cross state lines! If you are gearing up for a long-distance move, then look for movers who specialize in interstate relocations.
- Reputation - If you hire a 3-star moving company, then you'll get a 3-star moving experience.
At the very least, take an hour or two to research a few local moving companies near you. That vetting process will help ensure your peace of mind throughout your moving process.
Request Your Quote from the Top Residential Movers in Denver
Are you looking for skilled movers near you? Then you're in the right place.
At Amazing Moves, our mission is to deliver a smooth relocation for every move we handle. We understand that moving is a stressful time, which is why we strive for excellent customer service.
Contact Amazing Moves today to get your accurate estimate from our trusted residential movers in Denver.