24 Moving Tips
Moving is a stressful time for all, and when one small thing goes wrong, it can often feel like the end of the world. We’ve compiled some of our best moving and packing tips to help your move go as smoothly as possible.
- Fill up pots and pans with spices and other small kitchen items to save space.
- Use color-coded labels. Assign each room in your new home a color to make moving and unpacking a breeze.
- Make a “first day” box by labeling and filling a clear bin with everything you’ll need on the first day in your new home.
- Pack your books in a suitcase with wheels. Rolling your books out the door instead of lifting them in a box is a much easier way to move.
- Make sure to tape mirrors with painter’s tape before your move to protect against breakage.
- Prep crockpot meals for your move – you’ll be grateful to have them at your new house in the middle of unpacking and settling in.
- Use clothing to wrap your breakables. This helps reduce the need for more boxes and saves you from having to buy bubble wrap.
- Take a picture of your electronics before you move so you can remember how to hook them up correctly in your new home.
- Keep kids and pets with friends or family on moving day – having them around will only exacerbate the stress of moving.
- Clean your new place before you move in. It’s much easier than cleaning after everything’s been unpacked!
- Pack plates vertically and make sure to place foam plate protectors between to prevent breakage.
- Use sandwich bags for things like nails and screws. Tape them to the item, or label them so you know what they belong to.
- Consider hiring movers. Sionce most movers have insurance, your belongings will be protected incase anything happens during your move.
- If you have items you don’t want to keep but don’t want to toss or donate, look into selling them on Etsy or Craigslist at least a month before you move.
- Place plastic wrap under the cap of liquid bottles. It will prevent spills and breakage during your move.
- Put a number on each box and make a corresponding list of all boxes and their contents. It makes finding items so much easier.
- Give each box a rating based on the priority it needs to be unpacked so you know where to start.
- Use a bar of white soap to fill in any holes left in the wall from nails.
- Remove light bulbs from objects to prevent breakage during your move.
- Toilet paper rolls are a great way to keep items like jewelry and cords organized and untangled.
- No need to pack silverware individually, simply remove the cutlery drawer insert and wrap it in paper or plastic wrap.
- Keep a cooler or ice packs available on moving day to keep perishables from the fridge cool.
- Think about hiring movers. With benefits like packing and assembly help, hiring movers is a great way to keep your move stress-free.
- Pack knives in oven mitts to keep them (and you) safe!
Are you ready to call a mover? Contact us for an estimate to see how you can have the best move possible.