3 Packing Tips From Our Denver Packing And Moving Company
Let’s be honest: Nobody enjoys the packing process. It’s a tedious, monotonous, and time-consuming activity that can feel incredibly overwhelming. Your house is stuffed with hundreds, if not thousands, of personal items that you’ll need to pack up. Packing is a mountainous task that you just can’t avoid when you’re moving homes. At Amazing Moves, we wanted to make the packing process easier for you. As a top packing and moving company in Denver, we’ve seen all the common packing issues and best practices in play. Just stick with these 3 handy packing tips and you’ll be on the fast track to a fully packed house!
Organization Is The Key
An erratic packing process is a recipe for disaster. You can’t just throw all of your items into the same boxes! Imagine the extra confusion and frustration that you’d have to work through later down the line. You might risk driving yourself mad when you’re unpacking the moving boxes in your new home.
Trust us: When it comes to packing, it is better to be over-prepared than under-prepared!
Your packing process needs to be meticulous and well-thought-out. It pays off to have a plan right from the get-go. You should start out your packing process by first making a 4-part list in each room of what you want to keep, store, sell, and donate.
- Keep: What do you want to bring to your new home? Take note of special items that might require extra or special packing materials (e.g., china sets, fragile heirlooms, etc.).
- Store: There will be some things that you’ll want to keep, but it doesn’t make sense to move them twice. Simplify your process now by figuring out which things you need to move into storage.
- Sell/Donate: You definitely have some things that you are ready to get rid of. Instead of throwing those old items away, make some money off of them! Coordinate a garage sale at least 6-8 weeks in advance of your move to sell the items that you don’t need. Anything that you can’t sell should be donated to local charities.
With a reduced inventory, you can now start a more efficient packing process! Remember to keep everything as organized as humanly possible. As a top packing and moving company in Denver, we have a few handy tricks that can help your organization. You might want to consider:
- Color-coding the moving boxes for the different rooms in your home.
- Keeping a list of what goes into each box and writing corresponding numbers on the boxes as well.
- Loading the moving truck by the room that the boxes belong in.
At the end of the day, you should really just implement the organization system that works best for you. It’s your move afterall, so you should strive to make it as seamless as possible.
Get The Right Quality And Quantity Of Moving Materials
The movers of our packing and moving company have seen many people underestimate and overestimate their moving needs. Some people will just get a bunch of large moving boxes, only to later purchase a few smaller ones as well. Other people will grab moving boxes of all sizes and forget about specialty boxes for unique items. And others will attempt to utilize leftover boxes from online deliveries for their move.
When you’re moving, tremendous weight is placed on your moving materials, literally and figuratively. You might feel inclined to save some money by using generic boxes from the grocery store or other cheaper boxes. Don’t give in to that impulse!
When it comes to moving boxes, quality matters greatly. You need to think strategically about the kinds of boxes that you buy for your move. Think through every little detail.
- How many boxes will you need to fit all of the items that you want to keep?
- What types of moving boxes will you need for all of your possessions?
- Do you have any empty suitcases or bins at home that you can use/re-purpose?
Try to get the right quality and quantity of moving boxes for your move. If you accurately estimate and invest in high-quality boxes, you won’t have to scramble at the last minute to pack your things!
We’d also recommend that you don’t forget about the containers that you already own. Duffel bags and storage bins can be perfect travel containers for large and light items. Suitcases and bins with wheels are great for dense items, like books, since they are easier to transport.
Work Gradually, Not Rapidly
During a move, there are a million things that can go wrong! Anything can happen, from weather delays on your moving day to broken boxes due to improper packing. A great number of problems can arise when you aren’t planning or preparing thoroughly for your move.
The most common moving errors can actually arise during the packing process itself, especially when you pack everything at the last minute. You might assume that you can pack up your entire house in a single evening, but don’t fool yourself! That common packing assumption could not be further from the truth.
A professional packing and moving company can pack up a 4-bedroom house in roughly 8-10 hours. You’re not a professional packer, so you can guarantee that it will take you much longer to pack up your entire house on your own.
Give yourself plenty of time to pack up your home instead! Our professional packers would recommend that you start the packing process at least 3-4 weeks out from your moving date. Once you have your plan organized and your materials collected, set to work and start packing. For a more efficient packing process, we’d recommend that you:
- Pack one room at a time. It will be much easier (and tidier) to concentrate your packing efforts in one area rather than all over the house. Those gradually packed rooms will function as reminders of your progress and motivate you to continue packing things up.
- Pack for an hour every day. Whether it’s in the morning before work or in the evening after dinner, a little packing every day will benefit you greatly! Just chip away at the mountain of packing tasks on a daily basis and you’ll be finished packing in no time.
Stick with these handy packing tips and you’ll be on the fast track to a more successful move.
Skip The Packing Hassle With A Top Packing And Moving Company
Would you rather avoid the packing process altogether? Then let the packing professionals handle it for you! At Amazing Moves, we have no problem handling all of your packing needs. We have extensive experience safely packing, moving, and unpacking all types of items. Our movers will strive to handle all of your personal items in a careful manner and deliver them all in the same condition as you last saw them.
Contact Amazing Moves today to start working with Denver’s top packing and moving company.