How To Accurately Vet Your Denver Moving And Storage Company
From the moment you make the decision to move, you take on a mountainous workload and significant stress. Every step of your moving process carries great weight and a minor slip-up at any point can make your move more chaotic and difficult. With the right Denver moving and storage company at your back, you can ensure your move will be smooth and successful. Their professional support can be invaluable during your relocation process.
Unfortunately finding the best moving and storage company for your needs isn't always easy. Today, we'll help make that process a little simpler for you by showing you how to properly vet movers in Denver.
Why It's Important To Vet Your Movers
These days, most people won't look past the first result that pops up in Google search. But that doesn't mean the first result is the best moving and storage company for your needs!
According to the American Moving and Storage Association, there are 7000 moving companies in the U.S. operating at nearly 14,000 locations. That means you have plenty of available options to choose from and each company comes with its own set of pros and cons. These could include things like customer service capabilities, specialty moving services, and even your overall moving cost.
So, if you impulsively hire the first moving company you discover, you might end up regretting that decision sooner or later.
By taking the time to first evaluate your needs and vet your movers now, you'll set yourself up for a smooth and successful move.
4 Steps To Vet A Denver Moving And Storage Company
We recommend that you set aside an afternoon or two to research and vet moving companies near you. Doing your due diligence will help ensure you're getting the right movers for your needs at the most affordable price. You may want to start by gathering referrals from your friends and family, but the companies you add to your shortlist are entirely up to you.
Here are a few steps to help you properly vet your options:
1. Consider Your Needs
Before you even start researching local moving companies, you need to evaluate your own needs. Whether you're moving to a whole new city or a new neighborhood, your move will be unique.
For instance, will you have the time and energy to pack up all of your possessions? If not, you may need to hire a full-service Denver moving and storage company. This way, you won't need to lift a finger as your movers will handle all of the packing and unpacking processes for you.
Make sure you have a clear idea of your moving needs before diving into the next step.
2. Conduct An Initial Screening Test
As you start developing a list of local moving companies, you'll want to conduct an initial background check on each option. This should essentially be your screening test to ensure they're a reputable and trustworthy organization. During this screening test, you may want to:
- Check their profile on the Better Business Bureau. What is their BBB rating? Are there any complaints filed against their company? If so, have they been resolved?
- Examine ratings on other review platforms. Reviews on business listings like Google and Angi's List will often provide some insight into the customer experience you can expect with any given moving company.
- Check their affiliation with the American Moving and Storage Association. AMSA membership is voluntary, so a company shouldn't be ruled out of your list if they aren't an AMSA member. However, the association can add some credibility to that company.
Of course, you'll also want to ensure that each company can meet your moving needs. So remember to review their specialty moving services as well!
3. Request In-Person Moving Estimates
Sooner or later, you'll need to start gathering quotes from the companies on your shortlist. Set up some appointments with company estimators to have them visit your property. But remember: those representatives have much more to offer you than merely an estimate.
As a homeowner, those appointments are perfect opportunities to further vet your movers. It's a great chance to get as much information as you possibly can about the company. Treat those visits like job interviews and remember to ask each mover key questions like:
- How long has your company been in business?
- What steps will you take to prevent damage to my possessions?
- Can you walk me through the pricing of your storage solutions?
- What kind of liability coverage do you provide?
- How does your company handle disputes, complaints, or claims?
Be sure to develop your own list of questions in advance of these meetings! Remember, this step in the process is a great time to clear up any remaining questions that you may have. So use the opportunity wisely!
4. Double-Check For Any Common Red Flags
Moving scams are more common than you think! Trust us: you don't want to fall victim to these dishonest businesses. Take some additional time to conduct some further research on each company. Be sure to check for things like:
- Proper business license. You can check for the right license by double-checking their U.S. DOT number with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Business insurance. If they're not insured, they can't pay you back for any damaged goods.
- Irregular payments. If they demand any sort of upfront payment, they are likely untrustworthy movers. Payment should only happen after the goods have been shipped to the destination.
- Their estimate is too good to be true. Once you've gathered your estimates, you'll likely have a good idea of the average cost of your move. If one estimate seems too good to be true, it likely is.
You may also want to check out consumer-advocacy sites like movingscam.com or ripoffreport.com. These sites will illuminate any histories of consumer complaints, recurring issues, and more about those in the moving industry.
Connect With A Top Denver Moving And Storage Company
There you have it! With those 4 easy steps, you'll be able to effectively vet moving companies near you. And there's no better place to start your search than Amazing Moves.
Since 2003, we have been moving families to and from the Denver metro area and we've built a strong name for ourselves in the process. With top-notch customer relations and a full-service moving experience, we'll help you transition into your new home seamlessly and successfully.
Contact Amazing Moves to schedule your FREE in-person estimate with the best moving and storage company in Denver.